[Sussex] IE no-more on the Mac

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Sun Jun 15 10:31:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Geoff Teale wrote:

> > Good point but it's still not 100% compatible with MS file formats - people
> > at "the office" wouldn't like the conversion errors.  I can get away with
> > using a Mac whilst they're all on Windows but I think I'd get complaints if
> > I went to OpenOffice.
>
> Hmm.  In my experience, almost all the conversion errors are bringing documents from MS Office to OpenOffice.Org, and then almost all of them are down to not having the right fonts installed (something that also affects MS Office itself, though most people stick to Arial and Times).  Using Gentoo 1.4 with the OpenOffice.Org 1.1 beta I have yet to find _any_ conversion problems at all (as Gentoo pulls the Microsoft Fonts in for you).

Agreed. 3a IT have been pushing OOo for a while now, and have noticed no
problems from clients. Convo usually goes sommat like:
"you can have office at 400 quid a pop or OOo for free"
"are there any compatibility issues?"
"we've not found any"
"i'll take OOo"

and even if there are problems (not that i've seen any) people will
usually be happy because they're 400 notes better off.

> On a seperate Mac related note.. a project to bring Gentoo's portage system to Mac OS X is now underway, and a new Gentoo Live CD is available for the Apple Mac (which should work on all iMacs or later/greater machines) and bring accelerated X windows and Mac OS 9/X emulation via Mac-On-Linux from a bootable CD.  See http://www.gentoo.org for more info..
>
> A screenshot of a running Gentoo Live CD for Mac showing Mac OS X running in a kde window is available here:
> http://www.gentoo.org/images/shots/ppc-livecd/snapshot1.jpg

Hmm, perhaps I could give gentoo a go then... been considering sticking
nix on my iMac for a while, just too damn lazy to do it :)

Jon
Jon Fautley           >o)     .^.     (o<   jon at geekpeople.net
+44 (0) 1403 24 1337  //\     /V\     //\   http://www.geekpeople.net/
Mail for PGP Key     _\_V   /(   )\   V_/_  +44 (0) 7984 714410
                             ^^-^^
           kill -9 'em all, and let root sort them out