[Sussex] News.. views and Barney McGrue's..

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Jun 23 18:27:01 UTC 2003

Chaps,

Especially for all those of you who are always telling me Linux on the
desktop will never happen, and businesses will never use it because they
can't get the tools.  Here are two especially nice little articles on
the Register.  The first concerns the way large vendors are using the
far east as a test bed for mass-adoption of Linux technology.  The
second concerns the current Oracle / Peoplesoft takeover attempt, and
how either way we end up with big players pushing for linux adoption.

On the second story, I have to say, there seems to be two options in the
future business apps market. Go with Windows and use software acquired
and developed by Microsoft for everything (not necessarily a bad
solution, but one which will require you to write a blank cheque every
few years and send it to chairman Bill) or go with third parter vendors
(who more and more are aggressively pushing Linux because it's success
gives them protection from Microsoft's rampaging ways).  There are a lot
of SME's out there who will listen to their contracted providers and
plump for Microsoft, Great Plains, etc... and there are a lot of larger
companies who have invested a lot in peoplesoft or OracleApps  and will
go the other way.

We live in interesting times...

--
GJT