[Sussex] Gentoo forked...

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Fri Jun 27 16:30:00 UTC 2003

Steve Dobson wrote:

>So the developers still trawl through public lists - no reduction of spam
>reading.  That makes it an elites policy to create a two class system:
>the Gentoo developers and rest of us mortals.

The developers only _have_ to scan the forums that are relevant to them,
not every forum.  The Gentoo developers list which is private is where
interaction between developers from different groups occurs.  I concur
that some peoples ideas may get missed this way, but I think they
probably get a higher hit rate through not having to wade through reams
of irrelevant rubbish.

When I spoke of Debian-private my point was only this - it's mere
existence is completely in opposition to the ideal that "all censorship
is bad".

I'm not really here to defend Gentoo's policies - what I'm trying to say
is that there isn't some mythical secret society of Gentoo developers
plotting to screw the community for financial gain and nobody is trying
to hide anything - it's just an effort to keep an important
communication channel clear.  In an ideal world where people all behaved
rationally there would be no need for any of this.  To stay as cutting
edge as it is Gentoo needs to have focus and that isn't possible (to the
mindset of the core developers).  I'm in favor of democracy - not anarchy.

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com