[Sussex] [OT] Xbox ->wireless->Broadband!

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Mon Mar 3 09:28:03 UTC 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:56:10 +0000, Nik Butler wrote:
> Okay, heres a little off topic
> my Broad band connection looks like this
>
> [adsl socket] <--> [ adsl router ] <--> apple airport
>
> { wireless broadcast of dhcp from adsl router }
>
> [sitecom network card] <--> [workstation]
>
> So natrually I want to connect my XBOX to my broadband without the
> cables....
>
> http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wli-t1-s11g.pdf
>
> Im thinking to plug the ethernet port of the Xbox into this and
> hopefully get a connection ?
>
> any thought ?

The TCP/IP stack on the xbox is non-standard (at least it used to be),
so there's a good chance it won't work. Also the xbox prefers a 100Mbit
connection (learnt from painful experience, admittedly with a large
number of xboxes, one on it's own may be okay).

Having followed Stuart's link, it would appear that it may be possible,
but as noted you need to give both the xbox and the bridge static IP
configs (which doesn't surprise me, the xbox's handling of DHCP is
'interesting').

Let us know if you get it working.

Neil.
(who misses playing Halo on a 50" plasma screen but doesn't miss
debugging a network of 250 Xboxes :-) )