[Sussex] A kernel question (!)

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Mar 10 16:27:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 10 March 2003 at 15:52 Geoff Teale
> Here's one for the cutting edge of the group:
>
> I'm now running a 2.5.63 kernel in the day to day - it's lovely,
> responsive, fast has ALSA built in, dang I love it.  However, there is one
> minor annoyance - when I select the 2.5.63 from my GRUB menu (as opposed
> 2.4.20) my /usr partition fails to mount (its at /dev/hdb2) - which in
turn
> means a number of things fail to happen.  When I log in I can then mount
> /usr and manually start things, but obviously this is not ideal.
>
> Can any kernel fiends see an obvious blunder here (before I go a-looking)?

It is not GRUB.  When booting the kernel you only need to give it the root
partion.  The other partions are being mounted by the init process/scripts
from the entries in /etc/fstab.

I'll assume that your running devfs here - mainly because it is the only
way I can think of a possible cause.

My guess would be that for some reason on 2.5.63 the link from /dev/hdb2 to
the device /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2 (or something link that)
is not around when the file system is mounted.

As an experiment try changing the fstab to use the full devfs names and see
if
that works.  I expect that it will.