[Sussex] A kernel question (!)

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 07:50:02 UTC 2003

Steve wrote:
------------
> I wonder if it is a timing thing.  Is your new machine, with
> a gcc 3.2 compiled
> set of binaries, to fast for one of your disks?  I take it
> you've checked
> dmesg and that both hda and hdb are being reportted at boot time.

It's not my new machine - I won't have that for at least a 10-14 days - I've
only managed to make Dell accept the right order as of yesterday!

> > Going to dive in and see what I can find...
>
> Keep me posted - I want to know what the cause of this one is.

Me too!

I am having a look at 2.5.64 as quite a number of mounting problems have
been found in 2.5.63 (up to and including oopsing on NTFS mounts).  AFAIK
everything is fine with the system setup - it certainly worked for earlier
2.5 kernels and for 2.4.20, so something must have changed.

Folks.. this is why they are _development_ kernels.. ;)

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"make music like mercy that gives what it is and has nothing to prove"
 - Ani DiFranco "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company