[Sussex] Teasing the Vendors

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Mar 11 08:34:02 UTC 2003

Nik

On 11 March 2003 at 08:02 Nik Butler asked:
<snip>

> So what fun have you had with Sales guys who dont know their topic ?

My favourite was not with a Sales guys but a Support guy from Demon (my
ISP).
In those day's I wasn't running Linux but Solaris x68 (the Linux kernel
didn't
support the type of programming I was doing then).

I had a problem with my link to Demon and being that it was late Friday
(well
early Saturday more likely) I decided to call their help desk.

At the time in the morning I got through quite quickly.  The bod came on the
other end and then spotting that their records didn't have an OS listed
against
my name asked what I was using.

"Solaris 2.5," I said, "a version of Unix."

"We don't support Unix," he replied very quickly.  "We don't have the ..."
Fill in the rest yourself; I can't remember what he said but is was quite a
rant. :-)

When I finally got him to shut up I managed to ask my question.

"What are the IP addresses of your DNS servers?"

"Oh," he replied and rattled them off without a seconds delay.

I thanked him and hung up.

Why did I need the IP addresses.  I'd just re-installed and had forgotten to
note down the settings from /etc/resolv.conf.