[Sussex] Improving on UNIX

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Fri Mar 14 09:11:00 UTC 2003

> Morning...
Correct, this is an Observation which I believe to be accurate at the
point at which it was made by the observer.

> What a wonderful morning it is.. shame I'm at work :(
Yes its nice out !

> It was an interesting idea, it's just the article wasn't that well executed.
> I wonder if it is possible to provide the power of UNIX without just serving
> up a command line - answers on a postcard please ;)
ok, but it will be easier for all of us if I just respond on this forum.
So managing a operating system with a GUI. yes its possible if you want
simple brain dead no though, dont have to learn, administration
processes to be part of your Sysadmins skill set. However as Languages,
written and spoken provide one of the strongest tools sets available to
Humankind. A gui based interface for a language driven subset, like oh
I dont know cuniform of the babylonians or hieryaglphyics {spelling} of
the Eygptians was useful but restricted them in their developments.

Languages are the stong foundation for common communication of ideas.
Icons may represent the idea but they actually represent the actions on
that idea and as such become context restricted.

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

apt-get upgrade life++
	life++ is already upto date