[Sussex] apt-get continues

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Mar 18 10:24:00 UTC 2003

Dominic

On 18 March 2003 at 09:35 dominic.clay at btopenworld.com
> I am now a Debian convert .  Much to learn, but I'm enjoying trying...

How glad that makes me.

> Currently I am confused by why everytime I use apt-get, the
> thing tries to install an early IBM Java Dev Kit installer
> after attempting whatever I requested.   I never once asked
> for it, I do not want an IBM JDK.   Why would it be doing
> this, and how can I stop it?
> Please see nice screenshot attached...

Something you've added to your installation requires a Java JVM.
I'm guessing that you installed on of the task packages that
pulled in Java.

Try removing the package ibm-jdk1.1-installer:

  # apt-get remove ibm-jdk1.1-installer

It should list all the packages that depend upon the JVM.  If you
don't want any of them then let them be removed.  If you do either
connect to the net and run the installer - which will pull IBM's
JVM or down load one from Sun (which I've done).  If you use a JVM
which is not a Debian package (like Sun's) then you need to install
the dummy JVM/SDK package(s).  I haven't got a Debian box here to
try this on but a command like:
  $ apt-cache search jvm | grep dummy
should show you the appropriate packages

Steve
A Debian user