[Sussex] Partioning [was Hello!]

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Mar 25 14:47:00 UTC 2003

David

On 25 March 2003 14:35 David Chapman wrote:
> While were on the subject what partions would go together on separate
disks.
> example
> 	/dev/sda =  /boot
>                 swap
>                 /opt
> 	/dev/sdb = /
> 		     /var
>                /usr
> The theory being to put partions together that are not writen
> to or grow much (like /boot)

For performance you should spread the write load across the disks.
If two reads/writes to two different partions on the same disk want to be
done at the same time one must block.  If the partions are one two different
disks then both can happen at the same time.

As all disks are slow compared to CPUs maximising disk IO is a real
performance boost to your system.  I would lay them out thus:

/dev/sda = /boot
           /
           swap
           /var
/dev/sdb = /usr
           swap
           /home

See my earlier posting [1] on why there are two swap partions.  I would
also have /usr/src on sdb as I tend to build kernels and other packages
here which and when working on /usr/src I'm not using /home much.

Steve

[1]: http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/002266.html