[Sussex] Leased line / Kilostream

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 19:50:01 UTC 2003

In fact, Inuit has about between one and two dozen lexemes to mean particular types of "snow", but so does English:

avalanche
blizzard
dusting
flurry
frost
hail
hardpack
icelens
igloo
pingopowder
sleet
slushsnow
snowflake
snowstorm

The point about the original article that spawned this was that there was no "blanket" term in Inuit to mean "all types of snow". There were, however, two blanket terms, one which means "any type of falling snow", one which means "any type of settled snow"... but heh, that's the same situation as classical greek!

For more detail, visit any of the Internet's language lists, or for that matter, any First Year Uni course in linguistics...

M.