[Sussex] Well done Gareth / .NET

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 20:18:00 UTC 2003

Ahah...

> Now one could say that if gold was to become common place then the price
> of gold would fall.  That is why the leaf has not be accepted as a major
> currency since the days of the Golgafrinchams.

Generically, that's true. However, tobacco leaf is documented as having come
into common use as currency in Virginia in 1619. In 1642, it was made legal
tender by the General Assembley of the colony, by a rather cunning legal ruse -
the law in question outlawed any contracts that called for payment specifcally
in gold or silver. It was only dropped two centuries later, when the US
Constitution determined that legal tender was solely the domain of Federal
Government (who felt that the Gold Standard was a good thing.)

One could also argue that it came back in Germany between 1946 and 1948 - but
the unit of exchange following the devaluation of the Reichsmark was actually
the cigarette rather than raw leaf. (The introduction of the Deutschmark in 1948
put pay to that.)

Mark, who had to look up the detail, but has actually read John Kenneth
Galbraith :-)