[Sussex] More on Bad Maths

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 08:33:00 UTC 2003

Nik wrote:
----------
> not at all disputed, but the competition was to generate a algorithm
> that produced a random number. . . Petard and Hoisted me thinks !
>
> <grin>

Er, no if we're going to get into semantic-pedantics, to quote myself:

"It is simply this: get your computer (or any other standalone personal
computer or PDA type machine running Linux) to generate a truely random
number by an algortihmic process.  ;)"

.. now I know I didn't mention proof, but if you're claiming a number is
"truely random" you're going to need proof (at least a repeatable
experiment) as this is not normally considerd a possibility.

Tell you what Nik, to be fair, double or nothing, knock up a succesful,
repeatable experiment resulting in cold-fusion in your shed by tomorrow
evening and I'll buy 2 pints ;)  ... at least this one is generaly
considered to be a possibility.

> And yes I will have that drink <grin>

And you are, of course, welcome ;)

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of
course, in a state of sin.
-- J. von Neumann

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company