[Sussex] E-mail Disclaimers

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed Mar 26 09:04:00 UTC 2003

All

Legal question for you.

What is the legal status/validity of e-mail disclaimers?  My company would
like
me to add the disclaimer (see [1] below); personally I dislike disclaimers.
Having
read the text I have the following questions:

1). As e-mail is copied from machine to machine as it "travels" across the
    Internet do I have to give permission to all e-mail relays to forward my
    e-mails?

2). Do I have to give permission to the addressee to copy it back to me?

3). Do I have to give permission to the addressee to pass on the information
    provide to their colleges which is what most of my e-mails are for.

BTW - and just in case: I hereby grant the Sussex LUG mail list to copy,
modify,
and distribute all e-mails from my MA email address to the members of the
list.
I also grant all current and future members of this list to copy, modify and
distribute all of my e-mails to whomever thus so wish.

Steve

[1]:
  E-Mail Disclaimer:
  The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for
  the addressee only.  If you have received this message in error or there
are any
  problems please notify the originator immediately.  The unauthorised use,
  disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.
  This mail and any attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
leaving the
  Manhattan Associates network. Manhattan Associates will not be liable for
direct,
  special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents
  of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed
on.

  Manhattan Associates reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail
messages sent
  to and from this address for the purposes of investigating or detecting
any
  unauthorised use of its system and ensuring its effective operation.