[Sussex] Smoothwall

Stuart Jeffrey stuart at sjeffrey.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 18:13:01 UTC 2003

Ipcop is a branch from an earlier version of smoothwall and contains
many extra features.. Even over smoothwall 2.  I had smoothwall
installed for ages and then discovered ipcop.  The main feature I like
most (ova smoothie) is the fact u can have ip aliases on the red
interface.  I have also found the documentation and support a lot better
for ipcop, there is also some good documentation about changing routing
tables..  Smoothwall was good until they released the corporate version
and then they just didn’t care about the GPL one, there answer to any
question would just be upgrade to corporate.

You say you need multiple green interfates... Well it wont support this
out the box but with a bit of hacking it could probably be easily done..
I my self neeeded this a year back and was using smoothwall they told me
to upgrad to corporate which I did (at the cost of £75) and then when I
asked em how to do it they said it couldn’t be done and to use the
orange interface as a second green, with limited functionality.. I even
spoke to Richard Morell.... They gave me his home number... He did say
that if my company became a reseller (*cough u have to pay £200 to be
able to sell their product.. Even tho u are doing their sales work) then
they may consider adding the functionality if they thought there was
demand, or we could pay them £100 an hour to do it.  All I can say is
what a bunch of c*nts..

Sorry as u can tell I don’t like smoothwall.....

Ipcop also handles Ms Chat better (it has the mms masq module installed
out of box)... Oh and it allows you to backup your settings so if it
screws up u can restore to a good state..

Hope that helped a bit...

---