[Sussex] Smoothwall

Stuart Jeffrey stuart at sjeffrey.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 18:52:01 UTC 2003

Maybe that was a little harsh but the reason I don’t like them is
because they told me to pay for the corporate version which also didn’t
support what I wanted to do. I have no proble paying for the software
when it does what I expect or am told.

I didn’t want them to "add it for free" but I thought the product I had
brought was capable of doing this feature and when I wasn’t I assumed
they would give me the support to add another interface and sort out the
routing (which in normal linux I believe that is all that is require....
Don’t know enough myself.. Hence I was expecting some support... Which I
had paid for in buying the corporate).

> Asking VARs to pay to join a reseller scheme is normal, if
> not ubiquitous business practice. It's up to Smoothwall to
> determine whether they want to charge their resellers or not.
> If they do, then they get a smaller number of more committed
> resellers. If they don't, they get a larger number of less
> committed resellers.

Fair point....

> I am incredibly pro-Open Source - I run an OpenSource project
> in the Home Automation space myself.
>
> I am deeply disturbed when OpenSource proponents attack
> anyone who tries to make money out of software development as
> if they were fundamentally evil. This kind of attitude is, in
> my experience of large corporates, doing more to put managers
> off the concept of OpenSource than it is persuading them that
> OpenSource is a good thing.

I do not have a problem with this at all... And I do support open
source.  I have paid for many open source products including
(smoothwall... Red hat ans susie).  I would not say I have attacked
anyone that has tried to make money through open source.

Stu

---