[Sussex] Challenge

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu May 1 09:13:01 UTC 2003

Mark wrote:
-----------
> 3: Use a language that already has such a data type, such as
> Haskell, Hugs,
> Orwell, Miranda, OBJ3, or (maybe - I haven't checked) Clean.
>
> These languages were all designed for and by the mathematical
> community, and as
> you know, my degree's in Mathematics and Computation, so
> inevitably that's what
> I'm used to.

...and very fine languages they are to.  In this space accuracy to this
level is more importan and fudging would be frowned upon.  You should be
aware that this is a very specific problem space and it isn't the way that
most computing works (even in the scientific community).

> I realise that most of you guys probably program in C / Perl
> / Python etc., but,
> genuinely, I've probably written more code in my life in
> languages like these
> than I have in C, and certainly more than in VB, where I have
> written ONE
> program in my life :-)

Well then, i would consider yourself very lucky :)

> In fact, as I check my PC today, the two development
> languages I have installed
> are Hugs and Clean....
>
> Clean is way sexy, though I may be biased by virtue of the
> fact that I'm fishing
> for a grant from Phillips, to do some work on rules inference
> engines for Home
> Automation in Clean, jointly with the Universtity of Eindhoven :-)

I've never even looked at Clean.  I make it a rule to take a look at as many
programming languages as I can (at least one new one a year), it's a habit I
got into as a result of reading DDJ for a number of years and was reinforced
by my role at Primark/Thomson.  Once I start my new job I may take the time
to look at it.. but right now I'm busy reinforcing my python skills and
looking forward to getting to grips with eLISP.

--
GJT
Free Software, Free Society.

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company