[Sussex] Java Dev Environment

Dominic dominic.clay at cardinus.com
Thu May 1 12:43:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,

As a non emacs user, I think IDE this looks terrible!  ( I know, I know,
emacs rules! ) I guess this just confirms the fact that you can get used
to any environment and start to feel comfortable with it.  I am not an
emacs user.  I have never felt the need to use it.  That is not to say
that it is bad, just not my choice.

I have used a number of IDE's over a relatively short period of
development lifespan (Evolutionarily speaking, I am merely a furry
marsupial compared to the crinkly Crocodiles that inhabit this list ;p
).  I do think that this gives me a slightly different view on the
concept of an IDE.

Many of you have discussed the quality of IDE, size of the binary, huge
functionality of 'emax thingy' ( :D ), but one of the other factors of
an IDE for me, is that you can get up to speed with a subject quickly by
being able to "drag 'n drop" objects (and then alter them), scroll
through a list of methods using 'intelli-sense', step through code line
by line with pretty colours signifying which piece of your badly written
code is going wrong now, see nice red wiggly lines under all my syntax
errors and leap to context sensitive help pages from the variable under
my cursor which was placed there by a voice recognition plug-in (ok so
this last one was a little extreme :) ).

These things so often scorned by 'real' developers have enabled me to
learn the subject, discover newer/better/non-deprecated ;) ways of doing
things and understand what the hell is going on much quicker than I
could have done from a command line.  I almost never "drag 'n drop'
classes in a Java IDE now, but it I would use it on another new
sub-technology (apache taglibs and struts was a recent example! )

That is not to say that I don't use 'command line' / 'text' / 'script'
based tools.  Indeed my favourite build tool 'ANT' is strictly speaking
a parameterised command line application, as are any of the java
compilers around.  But I probably wouldn't have learned to script my own
ANT build files as quickly if I used it as a newbie from an IDE

A recent favourite of mine was Intellij's Idea (Excellent Java IDE
though not O.S.) - Very good environment written in java, although I
have started using Netbeans / Sun's Forte / Eclipse which are all very
similar and good products, and have the ability to attach to J2EE server
processes such as a servlet container and enables all the good things
associated with this such as Servlet / JNDI / RMI debugging :} .

Just my random ramblings...

Dominic