[Sussex] Big news.. maybe

Trevor Marshall trevorm at rusham.demon.co.uk
Sun May 4 17:25:01 UTC 2003

On Sunday 04 May 2003 16:43, Geoff Teale wrote:

> HP-Compaq are launching a takeover bid for Sun Microsystems.  That's a
> major consolidation of the UNIX vendor market, but it would give us another
> super-heavyweight alongside IBM in the high-end server market.
>
> I imagine this takeover would spark (geddit?) wider ranging support for
> LINUX on the UltraSparc III platform.

Maybe, maybe not, HP-Compaq probably have enough platforms (HP-PA Risc /
Alpha / Itanium / x86 )( and DEC's old Strong-ARM technology as well? or did
that go to Intel when they bought the chip producing bit - it's the basis of
X-scale isn't it?) without adding SPARC, I'd guess they're just buying market
share rather than any technology/ies.

And what will this mean for Sun's tight control of Java?

--
Trevor Marshall