Business, Linux, Ethics and Standards - [Was]RE: [Sussex] Yet Ano ther Windows Bug

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Tue May 6 10:47:01 UTC 2003

Geoff,

I've spent the last 5 years of my life working for end user companies dealing
with suppliers, and you are absolutely right - I would send out information in
Word / Excel / Powerpoint format, and expect them to be able to read it.

Now I'm on the other side of the fence, and I _am_ that small supplier.

That's why I love OpenOffice.org so much. I was commissioned to evaluate some
options for Comet for a specific, small project. Their in-house team had done
some work - In Excel. My detail comparison is in the OpenOffice.org spreadsheet.
My final summary was writen in the OpenOffice.org presentation tool.... yet when
I mail it out to them after the presentation, they'll be reading it in
Powerpoint.

It's interesting, though, that I know what Word, Powerpoint and Excel are
called - but I have NO IDEA what the OpenOffice.org equivalents are... I just
think of them as "Word, Powerpoint and Excel" :-)

M.