Business, Linux, Ethics and Standards - [Was]RE: [Sussex] Yet Ano ther Windows Bug

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Tue May 6 23:25:01 UTC 2003

Nik wrote:
-----------
> Well speaking as a historian you want to move an establishment and move
> it aside you have to educate the masses.

Indeed.  Why are the national characteristics of the English people deep
seated NIMBYism, racism, nationalism and a feeling that "this country needs
to be sorted out, but I'm not paying for it!"?   Simple, because the popular
press is dominated by wealthy people with a personal interest in instilling
fear of social change in people.

Has it ever struck you that the computing press have a vested interest is
saying that new things are great?  People buy computer magazines to learn
about new things and then learn to use them.  If computer magazines said that
there was very little functional advantage in buying a new PC with Windows XP
as a replacement for your old Windows 2000 system then they'd loose out on
all those people buying more and more magazines so they can work out how to
use XP to do stuff they used to do happily.  Moreover sponsorship (in terms
of advertising) can be tied to being "nice" to the advertiser.  Where does
Open Source stand here - well, actually we do OK.  The publishers realise
that there is exactly the same market for people who want to learn about
Linux.  Because most Linux publications are now seperate from their Windows
orientated counterparts they can even sell magazines (and thus advertising
space) by slagging off products championed in over magazine by the same
publisher.  In this way the computing press acts as a big feedback loop,
everone hears that the status-quo is great so long as you keep buying
product.

The news-media is the same.  If your main source of information about the
world is the Daily Mail or the Sun or even the Times or Torygraph then right
now you will be of the belief that this country is being invaded by hordes
dirty foreigners with no right to be here who want to steel our money, beat
up our children and rape our women folk.   That's the view I hear repeated
over and over by the majority of people I meet.  That's the view they've read
in those newspapers and they've not bothered to analyse that information,
they take it as gospel.  So the average man in the street feels that the
solution to the phenomenum of mass economic migration is simply "send 'em
back where they came from".   This is great because at heart most people are
fearful of what they don't know, and thus this kind of behaviour is quite
natural and predictable. The men at the top of these publications feed us
back our fears (And so we believe them) and then they bolt on all kinds of
over agendas.   There is strong supporting evidence to suggest that the
biggest factor in Magret Thatchers election inn 1979 and Tony Blairs election
in 1997 (?) was more heavily dependent on the support of the Sun newspaper
than any other single factor.

Now some of the less facist newspapers may concede that a lot of these
immegrants come from very poor countries.  What those publications never tell
you is that these people live in those conditions _because_ we live in a land
of great wealth.  I'll repeat that.  The majority of people on this planet
live in poverty BECAUSE we in the minority live in comfort and wealth.  For
the average joe on this list we're talking about 20-30 people living in
poverty, but if you're Bill Gates or Larry Ellison we're talking about
millions of people living in poverty directly because they have gained great
wealth.  The value of money is linked to the value of the raw produce of a
country.   The net value of any sum of currency is in proportion to the total
amount of that currency in circulation and the GDP and balance of trading of
the country in question - thus there is finite value in the world.  Britain
produces next to nothing these days, most third world countries produce
massive amounts of food and raw materials, so how come we are wealthy and
they are not?  Again, it's easy, we built our wealth through force, we stole
the resources of countries and then when it become politically unexceptable
to be an "Empire", we pulled out, but with left the great corporations, and
they continue to rape the world and rob it of it's resources - and we
Europeans and Americans lean on these countries with all the weight of our
stolen Economic strength so we can squeeze a little more out of the world.
In the context of this, who are we to complain that immigrants are putting a
strain on our economy and causing us discomfort.  So next time you're reading
about the immigration problem just sit back and imagine how many people lived
their entire life in poverty just so you could get that Widescreen TV of
yours at an "affordable" price.  We all have more wealth than the resources
around us should allow us, thus we are hoarding resource from elsewhere.

--
GJT
Free Software Foundation
tealeg at member.fsf.org