[Sussex] Suing Microsoft

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed May 7 09:25:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 07 May 2003 at 08:03 Geoff Teale wrote:
> Oh, OK, I've just noticed this story is on slashdot, they
> have a link to a more detailed report at e-week:

Having read the article, and only based on this I don't think
they have a good case.  It states that M$ did release a patch
some six months before the attach.

Some responsibility has to be with on the user to keep up to
date and install appropriate patches.  It appears that M$ did
release the patch.  To me a patch shows two things:

  1). a public acknowledge ment of the problem, and

  2). a way of correcting / stopping the problem for clients.

IANAL but IMHO the group of South Koreas no longer have a
case against M$.

If the ISP didn't install the patch for software they were
using then there may be a case against them.  But it sounds like
they just had network problems because of increased load on the
network by un-patched machines connected - not something I would
blame the ISP for given the way IP works.

And they also appear to be suing the Information Ministry!
Why?  Was it law to use M$ SQL Server 2000 un-patched?