Filenames (was [Sussex] html and stuff)

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Thu May 8 11:00:01 UTC 2003

All

On 08 May 2003 at 10:48 Gareth Ablett wrote:
> The extension of the file is interpreted by the server so if apache
> has the format of .blinkythebear in its system as the default then
> all pages with that extension can be used as html or what ever it
> is set as. Hence making it possible to use .php .asp ect.

This can be a useful trick.  I use it.  I've configured .html files
for server side include files (SSI check out Apache config) rather than
.shtml.

I can then generate a website on my local machine using SSI to do
the repetitive parts of the page (like banner, menu, copyright, ...).
Then when I use wget I get some pure html files which I can upload to
my public website.  Okay there are some other stuff I need to do to
but it is a good trick.