[Sussex] XFree86 & Debian

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Tue May 13 22:19:01 UTC 2003

Hi Dave

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:27:20PM +0000, David Chapman wrote:
> I have had a go at installing Debian on my machine and have hit a
> problem with configuring X
<snip>

I had a similar problem with my laptop when I upgraded to Debian
sarge.

I found that if I moved all XF86 config files out of the way I
ran "xf86cfg" (as root), and it was able to probe the system
and bring up X and allow me to config it further.

BTW: Before you run xf86cfg make sure that /dev/mouse points
to your mouse.  Mine didn't and I had to use the numeric keypad
to move the mouse (not the easiest thing on a laptop :-).

Good luck