[Sussex] Worried?

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed May 28 15:37:00 UTC 2003

Angelo

On 28 May 2003 at 15:05 Angelo Servini wrote:
> Looks like they're getting worried mates! :-)>
>
> "Microsoft is to give away a range of improved benefits to
> win over critics after admitting that it alienated users with
> its controversial software licensing model."
>
> http://www.computing.co.uk/News/1141202

Good link.  For those of you who haven't read it M$ are giving away
some "free" goods.  Below is the list copied from the site with my
comments.

 * Free copies of Microsoft Office software for customer
       employees to use at home;
    SD: This isn't worth much; try getting a new machine that doesn't
        offer to bundle in Office as well as the OS.  Yes it can be
        done - but you have to ask.

 * 'Significant' employee discounts on other software, including games;
     SD: But most people who work at home get a company laptop that
         doesn't need another copy of the same software.

 * Free web and telephone support for problems with server software
      (currently a chargeable service);
     SD: The Open Source set are already giving good Web support so
         commercial companies have got to buck their ideas up as a
         result.  And have you ever tried a phone support line.  Either
         it is engaged or no one picks up.

 * Free extended support for products that have gone beyond mainstream
      support life-cycles;
     SD: But M$ were already seen as being poor in this area compared to
         Sun, IBM, HP, ...

 * Tools to speed up deployment of Windows software;
     SD: New tools? or Free tools?

 * Access to Windows source code for all customers with more
      than 1,500 licensed desktops - currently only available
      for government departments;
     SD: How many licensees are that big?

 * Free online learning software;
     SD: As apposed to all the stuff on the web that is their anyway for
         Unix.

 * Training vouchers for use at authorised training centres.
     SD: Bet they don't given 100% discounts.  But get your MSCE ticks
         here.  Will this de-grade the value of a MSCE certificate if they
         are more popular.

Just my 2p worth.