[Sussex] Yep, Debian is a pain in the bum (at least apt-get is).

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu May 29 16:30:01 UTC 2003

> Sorry none - but I get similar **!!?$fk-ting! messages too when I try to
> install some apps.

S'ok.. I just rebuilt the partition..

>Why doesnt it just say arse: my master wants to upgrade
> to the next level so I will be a good kernel and get the bits he wants. :-/
> Sigh!

Not to discount the sentiment.. but really this has nothing to do with the kernel and a lot to do with the little script programs that run apt.. they work this way for a reason.. they just don't like it if you start trying to downgrade things - this makes sense in Debian stable - because there is no one left alive who can remember older versions of the stable packages and so nobody (except skilled archaeologists) would go looking for older versions.  Trouble here is that we need stuff that is to new to be in Debian stable.. but we need it built on a Debian stable base.. it works fine when you do things correctly.. but when it's been done wrong it screws up big time - key to this is that for some reason Python2.2 was being pulled from unstable rather than our own debian packages..

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com