[Sussex] Worth a read

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 20:32:36 UTC 2003

> So how
> did you know it was a Otter Bush or a Bongo Clip ? Did a helpful
> paperclip jump out of the dash board and say
>
> "I see your trying to chang the oil ? would you like to blah blah blah "
>
> Or did you look for manuals, information and details about your vehicle.
> Did this transform into how to utilise tools and materials to effect a
> alteration of your vehicle.

Neither.

What I did was look for a PERSON who who could diagnose the problem and give
me advice on whether I could fix it, or whether it needed professional
assistance.

My requirement was actually to stop water pouring out the bottom of the car,
and over the phone I used language like "there's water pouring from the
front - a round hole at the bottom of the radiator with something in it...
you want me to take it out? OK - it's got a rubber washer that's perished."

Later, at the garage, I was told that a washer is not called a washer when
it's on a car... it's called a bush. I was also told that the round
component that the "bush" was holding in was called an "otter switch". I had
no idea whether this is the general term, or a trade name for the specific
part. I now learn, from Geoff's post on this forum, that other marques call
it an otter switch as well, so I assume that it's a relatively generic term.

I have a slightly proud feeling that, rather than trailering the car to the
garage, I was able to purchase the part and fit it myself... but I am
prepared to go forward in life without any inclination to find out more
about the mysteries of the internal combustion engine.

It's complex - I'd rather find an expert!

... and this is from an acknowledged petrol-head with an addiction to
British Sports Cars.

M.