[Sussex] Newbie Alert

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Wed Nov 19 22:21:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 19:20, Al Bennett wrote:
> Evening All

Evening..

> Well, I can't believe I've stumbled on a LUG and that it's more or less on
> my doorstep!

Good stuff.

> Anyway a bit about me, I'm Al from Broadbridge Heath, I'm 20 and I'm sort of
> a programmer...  I say sort of because I have M.E. which gets in the way of
> things like real work.

I'm sorry to hear that.  My wife Sarah has had ME/CFS for nearly 11
years.  She does work, but only part time (with some days working from
home) and she still finds it very hard, she been very lucky that her
firm (she's a lawyer) have been very good about it all.

> I'm currently doing web development type work from
> home, mostly using Perl (and of course HTML) and a bit of PHP (which I'm not
> keen on but that's a different story!).

Good stuff.  Plenty of PHP programmers hereabouts.

> I guess it would be sensible to mention my Linux experience here: I've been
> using Red Hat since about 5.0(ish) for Perl development using Apache etc.
> I'm currently halfway through migrating the whole hog, only 1 PC in 3 (as
> you'll notice from the X-Mailer!) still trapped in proprietary hell, getting
> there!  I'm currently using Redhat 8 (which is a waste of time) and Mandrake
> 9.1 which is better.

Cool.

> Right, that'll do for now.

Right indeed.  Well welcome aboard and I hope we hear more from you
soon.

--
Geoff Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation