[Sussex] DualBooting

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sun Nov 23 14:54:15 UTC 2003

> Can anyone advise on reinstalling my flaky Win98se back onto partition
> C, without disturbing Lilo, or Mandrake 8.2 on D.
> Infantile comments not required.
> regards  Phil.

No, windows rewrites the MBR when it gets reinstalled. You can use a Linux
boot cd to boot, mount and chroot into your Mandrake partition, then run
lilo to reinstall lilo into the MBR. Your lilo configuration is stored in
/etc/lilo.conf and will simply be applied on execution of the lilo
command.

Windows will not overwrite a Linux partition unless you tell it to via fdisk.

Make necessary backups of essential data as usual, disasters can happen!

--
John