[Sussex] Gentoo Flags

Alan J Fitton alan at loonix.net
Fri Nov 28 23:04:29 UTC 2003

> Thought this should probably be a separate thread, someone last night
> (Nik?) talked about changing the Make Flags to enable the ebuilds under
> gentoo to compile in a more optimal way, something about changing from
> 03 to 02?

Didn't use Gentoo for long, but I think I remember the right bits:

Take a look in /etc/make.conf, edit the CFLAGS variable to have -O2 or -O3
in it somewhere, this will be used with every ebuild or whatever it's
called in the compiling process.

Put short, the -O flag implies different options to the compiler that
optimise the binaries it produces, depending on what level you set it to.
Keep in mind that setting it too high can make unstable binaries. -O2 is
generally considered stable, -O3 is fine though.

Hope this helps,
Alan