[Sussex] IT qualifications advice

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Sat Nov 29 12:00:27 UTC 2003

Sorry to prolong the debate but speaking as someone who has crap A levels
from yesteryear, an Engineering Doctorate and was a Principal Lecturer for
a while at what is now Kingston University ...

- top priority is to do subjects you enjoy.
- go for that Maths 'A' level but Physics would be a better option than
Chemistry
- keep  developing IT experience on real projects, maybe LUG members can
help

With so many people emerging with similar 'A' Levels nowadays that
experience will count in getting into University.  Students who developed
an interest in their chosen subject before taking the course very often get
better results than those with higher paper qualifications.

As far as future professional qualifications go, the British Computer
Society is developing many more flexible routes to full Membership so
you'll have plenty of options if that's what you want.  Personally, my MBCS
hasn't done much for me - I don't think it counts unless you're doing
certain sorts of contract work as has been observed.

  Iain

--On Saturday, November 29, 2003 11:09:09 +0000 Alan J Fitton