[Sussex] Partitions problems from "the nugget"

David Chapman dokterdave at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 29 13:23:46 UTC 2003

I would pation my drive like this.
Windows 20GB
swap At the begining of the drive is faster.
  depends how much ram you have but if Mandrake thinks 1GB is good then I wont
argue.
/ 20GB (Mandrake)
/ 20GB (Knoppix)
/home 20GB (18GB is enought for me and the tribe)
/var 2GB (mandrake)
/var 2GB (Knoppix)
your system logs go in here which can fill a drive very quickly
/var/cache 6GB
The rest as a /data partion or make /home bigger
your updates are downloaded to here.
swap and /var/cache are shared between Mandrake and Knoppix
If you need to reinstall  again dont format /home or /var/cache
Then you will not have to download all the updates again and you desktop will
be as before.

On Saturday 29 November 2003 01:00, John wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I won't bore you with the "why's and how's", but I've managed to kill both
> of my linux install's. I'm v confused as to how I should re-install. What I
> would like to know is that having read/heard that the proper way of
> installing stuff is to have seperate partitions, and having tried to
> decypher the "wisdom?" from O'really's Running Linux, I have come across
> this http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/10/11/filesystem.html
>
> The link article suggests that I need seperate /, /usr, /home, /var and
> /tmp partitions (well that's how I read it anyway). Which is all well and
> good. But my confusion arises because I normally have mandrake and
> debian(knoppix 3.3) installed on just 2 partitions (plus the ubiquitous
> windows and a linux swap partition).
>
> All this has until today sat happily on a 120 gig drive (about 20 gig's for
> the windows, 1 gig for the swap, 50 gig's for mandrake and 49 for the
> debian/knoppix). Now given that I have the best part of 100 gig's available
> to do my re-install's, and following on from the advice in the O'really
> link, should I just chop the linux part of my drive into 10 equal pieces or
> do some of the "parts" work acros both systems ? I also understand that
> it's wise to have some partitions larger than others because of what they
> do, or what you would normally have stored in them - another ?????
>
> Or, have I understood this all "arse about face" and would I just have to
> have 2 seperate partitions for the mandrake and knoppix and additional
> space for any "data" that I manage to produce ???
>
> Sorry if this sounds like I'm being really thick, but I'm having "Linux
> withdrawl symptoms" after only 3 hours and hence any advice, instructions,
> guidance, etc on this is much appreciated
>
> regards
>
> John D. :-(

"we have a testing process that we know can lead to a sustained and
predictable level of quality"
Remarks by Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft Corporation
Gartner Fall Symposium 2003
Orlando, Florida
October 21, 2003

The Nachi worm compromised Windows-based automated teller machines at two
financial institutions last August
www.theregister.co.uk
Tue 25th November 2003