[Sussex] Ooo 1.1

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 18:57:21 UTC 2003

Excellent.

We've been using it for a while internally, and for clients, and 1.1 is
definitely faster than 1.0.x.

If your users are used to O2k or O97, then it's no more of a step to OO1.1
than it is to OXP. In some respects, better than O2k, since it's got a more
consistent use of the interface (the bizarre way that Excel2k handles
cut/paste, for example, which just breaks the metaphor.)

OXP is, in my opinion, very nice to use, but I would expect OO to catch up
rather more quickly this time. Of course, the real productivity improvement
in OXP is that way it handles multiple buffers.... but that's a non-trivial
mind-shift in user training from any previous version of Office, and tends
to mean that OXP rollouts initially decrease productivity, because people
assume that they'll work in the same way as previous versions and get
confused when they don't.

File compatability is excellent - I've ship a lot of documents back and
forth to clients who use O2k/OXP, and there have been no complaints
(provided I remember to save in O2k format.)  I used to doublecheck
everything on the token O2k machine, but now just send out straight from OO.
Indeed, one of the spreadsheets we give out to property investor clients as
a freebie has been out to 20 or 30 different people in different
organisations without a single "didn't work" complaint. (Which is more than
I can say about "what does it mean" - the number of property investors who
don't understand DCF valuations is scarey.)

We are now recommending that our clients move to OO1.1 on Windows 2000/XP
for the desktop rather than Windows XP.

Regards,

Mark Harrison
www.ascentium.co.uk