[Sussex] Additional to "John's stupid question"

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Oct 12 15:22:37 UTC 2003

Erm,

because I can't find anything about databases that makes sense to me, and
notwithstanding what Tony posted in reply to my first Q,

perhaps someone could enlighten me.

My aim, is to get Clare's (my partner) pile of magazines, work sheets and
other paper media that she uses for work and store it somehow on disc.

As there's quite a lot of it, and especially with the magazines, it would be
rather convenient to be able to vet it, i.e. loose the ad's and so on, so we
are left with just the pertinent material.

So, with that in mind, it seems that a database type "thing" would be the
elegant solution.

But when ever I surf for database stuff, I get lots of hits about MySQL and
PostgreSQL that I don't follow. All sorts of things about how the two apps
can do this or that, but as I don't think that I've ever seen database
operations "in anger", I'm not sure if that's really what I need to do.

Yes, I have seen some of the stuff that they do at my work, using MS access,
but as that is all table related, I have no idea how, or if scanning Clares
paperwork in would be a suitable thing to be able to "database".

I have had one suggestion that I could possibly be able to scan stuff in as
pdf, and while I know this is commonplace with documents, I haven't seen it
done with images.

I also understand that it could be just as easy to scan the "stuff" in and
just burn it to cdr. Again, possible though it would mean having someway of
checking an index to see what is on each disc. I would rather be able to open
an application, enter a searchable keyword, and possibly see thumbnails of
what is "thrown up".

So is it some sort of "database" that I need? (also, this maybe because I
don't understand what some/most/all of you understand by the term database).

Hence the request for enlightenment.

regards

John

p.s. sorry if it seems that I'm just repeating things that I've posted
earlier, but the more I investigate this, the more confused I become.