[Sussex] Hello from an new list member - a bit about me

Alan J Fitton alan at ajfuk.net
Sun Oct 12 20:41:36 UTC 2003

> Hello all
>
> I have just joined the SLUG list and thought I should introduce myself.

Welcome :)

> So, what I have put together is a set of standard Linux components that
> will do most of what M$ Exchange Server does - http://www.gigaday.com and
> my game-plan for Linux advocacy is to use email servers as my way of
> introducing GNU/Linux to my customers.  On this front, as I am a one-man
> outfit, I will be interested to hear from anyone out there that might want
> to become friendly with what I am doing; I have no plans to employ anyone
> but if there are others who share my vision, of Linux email in particular,
> I would like to collaborate with a view to mutual support.

I've recently got broadband (Eclipse 512/256 Lite), it's been perfectly
stable, the connection hasnt even dropped once in a month. I remember when
I first started using email and thinking how great it was being able to
communicate with someone across the world so fast. Unfortunately, I really
lost interest, mainly because of spam and other little nags. Setting up my
own mail server (and spam protection) has made email something I actually
want to use. Setting up my mail server was a good experience.

My mail setup is: Sendmail, IMAP, Squirrelmail, Spamassassin (using
sendmail's milter interface)

> My initial experiments with various distros were of varying success; I
> found the desktops very frustrating (this was a while back) compared to
> Windows and found that there were things that I hated about both Gnome and
> KDE.  I settled on SuSE as my preferred distro because it came with a
> reasonable set of manuals, which made gettng started easier.  However, I
> got frustrated with SuSE because of the KDE desktop menus nonsense (I
> expect that they have sorted this out by now) and the fact that it was
> never up to date enough - eg Mozilla JavaScript debugging or whatever - so
> I would be installing things from off the distro and soon couldn't figure
> out which RPMs were in the distro and which I had downloaded to get a more
> up to date version.

I'm a Slackware user (run for the hills!), like most people that use it I
enjoy the simplicity. I've tried Debian and enjoyed using it and was
impressed, but I just found the process of setting it up exactly how I
wanted a little too tedius (maybe I'm just a little impatient)

xfce4 is my window manager of choice