[Sussex] Gentoo getting me down

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Fri Oct 17 07:03:18 UTC 2003

> I have installed Xfree86 and Gnome but cant get it to go above basic
> 640x480
> on like 256 colour, the options just wont change I dont change.
> any ideas how What i would put in teh config file for a dual screen setup
> of
> at least 1024x768 and 24bit colour.i;ll settle for 60hz on both.

I run:-

# XFree86 -configure

which creates /root/XF86Config.new having sensed the card settings for me.
 I copy this to /etc/X11/XF86Config.

I edit in my settings for Driver "keyboard" and Driver "mouse" if necessary.

Then I set HorizSync and VertRefresh in Section "Monitor" according to the
monitor manufacturer's specs.

And finally in Section "Screen" I set DefaultDepth 16 and in SubSection
"Display", in the Depth 16 section, I set Modes "1024x768".

And then it works.  Of course this is just a basic setup and I don't have
multiple monitors.

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited