[Sussex] Gentoo getting me down

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Fri Oct 17 09:09:29 UTC 2003

> Sorry I should go into a bit more I was just quickly spouting it out
> last night.
>
> When I type startx I know have X starting and and Gnome loaded with dual
> screen works perfectly ok for a low res.

Have you tried changing the Mode lines:

Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024"

Modes       "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

As X works from left to right with the screen modes as it loads them. That
is why you get 640x480 first (you can switch resolution with
Ctrl-Alt-keypad+ and keypad-) Simply by turning the order around will make
X load the largest first, and if its too high for your monitor, use the
resolution toggle keys to reduce it.

You might also like to set the default depth in the screen sections to 24
so that you get 24 bit colour instead of the default 256 colours with a
depth of 8:

DefaultDepth 24

> Gfx cards are
> 1. Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS  <-- it isn't that but it has always worked for
> that driver without a prob.
> 2. Ati Rage II
>
> I would get the config file and post it here but haven't got the modem
> setup yet.
>
>> Tony Wrote
>> ==========
>> # XFree86 -configure
>>
>> which creates /root/XF86Config.new having sensed the card settings for
> me.
>>  I copy this to /etc/X11/XF86Config.
>
> I have done this already but these setting only seem to work for the
> basic X Server
> I want it to load Gnome into that.
>
> Will copying the .new file to /etc/X11 work when I run startx ?

~# cd /etc/X11
~# mv XF86Config XF86Config.backup
~# mv /root/XF86Config.new XF86Config

~# startx 1>>/tmp/outfile.startx 2>>/tmp/outfile.startx

When you shutdown X, have a look in /tmp/outfile.startx to see the driver
used and any errors that might come back:

~# less /tmp/outfile.startx

--
John