FW: [Sussex] Copyright - Left etc.

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 10:10:18 UTC 2003

<snip: Geoff wrote..>

>It should be noted that you do not "release" anything by using
>the GPL.
>You simply allow other people certain rights in exchange for their
>agreement to your license.  The copyright remains with the author (this
>is unusually complex where there are multiple authors, but existing IP
>Law would suggest that everyone else's work is derived from
>the original
>author).
>
>NOTE:
>GPL is _not_ the same as Public Domain and the only process
>that can put
>intellectual property into the public domain is the passing of time.
>--
>GJT
>gteale at cmedltd.com

ok.... As I don't know much about this subject.

Going on to the recent moves by EU to introduce software "Patents", how does
a patent make it more difficult for the "Free" software philosophy which is
behind Linux? Im sure you will tell me that Patenting is different from
Copyright.  However, again surely, the author should be in control of
his/her own IP?  Or is it down to the cost and complexity incurred by
Patents?

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company