[Sussex] gentoo is cool.

Angelo Servini angelo at servini.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 20:21:27 UTC 2003

Hello Tony,

Sunday, October 26, 2003, 7:17:12 PM, you wrote:

> Angelo

>>      When I do an   emerge -k packagename    gentoo attempts to grab
>>      everything from internet connections; ok fair enough, but I
>>      thought that -k was supposed to grab binaries?.  I tried -K
>>      and that seems to point to the fact that it cannot find those
>>      binaries.. if so why?
>>
>>      I did do the following ok after mounting the cd, im sure of it:
>>
>>        cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages/* /usr/portage/packages/

> According to a little test that I have just done maybe your .tbz files
> should be in

> /usr/portage/packages/All

Thanks Tony, I may be aware of whats happening now.

Sorry fellas (doh! Im so dumb!), I had a look at what was happening

# emerge -k xfree
Calculating dependencies    ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 2) app-arch/cabextract-0.6 to /
>>> Downloading http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/distfiles/cabextract-0.6.tar.gz
>>> Downloading http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/cabextract-0.6.tar.gz
>>> Downloading http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/downloads/cabextract-0.6.tar.gz
!!! Couldn't download cabextract-0.6.tar.gz. Aborting.

as I have not set up an internet connection yet, and cabextract-0.6.tar.gz
is not present in the /usr/portage/packages  gentoo tries to download
it.

Now that brings to mind yet another problem!

the installation instructions tell broadly how to set up your network

# ifconfig $IFACE $IPNUM broadcast $BCAST netmask $NMASK
# route add -net default gw $GATEWAY netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1 $IFACE

and, I currently have a standard 56k modem connection (I will get
broadband in January).  but for now I need to connect, if I want xfree
and all the other goodies.  but I have now hit a wall, as I dont know
what to put in the place of $IFACE, $IPNUM, $BCAST, $NMASK and
$GATEWAY

the /etc/resolv.conf file needs to be modified:

domain mydomain.com     <-- what do I put here?
nameserver 10.0.0.1     <-- what do I put here?
nameserver 10.0.0.2     <-- what do I put here?

big breath.... sigh...

also...

where do I put the other stuff like my freeserve username and password
and the dialup phone number?  modem type and so on?

help!

regards Angelo.

"ok, ya dirty punk, ya better do as I shay shee! cause I'm da boss
shee 'yeah he's da boss' yeah! do as I shay or the fat lady gets it!".