[Sussex] More debian questions

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 21:05:01 UTC 2003

Hi John

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 07:12:03PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> One of the downsides of mandrake is that I can do virtually anything I want
> with a gui. It doesn't encourage those of us (well, me really) to learn how
> to use command line input.

The power of Linux does line in the command line.

> Now I have got kde 2.2 up and running as "USER", but when I try and start it
> as root, I get this.
>

> debian:/home/john# startkde
> Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
<snip>

> Would someone be kind enough to decypher it and suggest what I might do so I
> can log in as root with a gui please ?

The easiest way of running KDE is to install the KDE Display Manager.
When I was their xdm (The X11 Display Manager was running).  The following
command will fix that.

   # apt-get install kdm

When it asks select "kdm" as the default display manager.  Then on the
next reboot you'll get the KDE login screen (Debian Style).

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #1: You can report a bug in a package with the 'reportbug'
command, which is available in the reportbug package.