[Sussex] Debian install ?

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 21:30:01 UTC 2003

Hi John

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:02:17PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> Now it's a case of working out how to install the latest KDE (3.1.3), so I can
> enjoy some of the "eye candy" that desktop drones such as myself so delight
> in.

I believe that the debs are out there, but they are not part of sarge.

<snip>

> I was wondering if any of you had come across this book
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0954161777/qid=1062705359/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_3_2/026-9501161-4705216#product-details
>
> as it seems to indicate that it is quite up to date and from a "well informed"
> source ? (Although it is refered to as a "reference manual" - a little
> daunting for "command line novices" like me - I thought it would be the
> better option as there is a dearth of books about "bash" that haven't been
> produced by O'Really).

I'd be wary of this.  I haven't read this one (although I now am a true
"Bourne-Again" shell user :-)  I do have the korn shell book, and then
drops into "shell programming" very quickly.  For general Unix I've been
recommending "Unix in a Nut Shell", but there is about half of that book
that you're unlikly to use.  Maybe "Linux in a Nut Shell" would be better.

If I were you I'd take a trip into Brighton and look at the shelves.  This
is one book you want to have a quick read of before buying.  Read a bit
about each chapter and see which boots best meet your needs.