[Sussex] Debian install - No sound

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sat Sep 6 00:03:00 UTC 2003

Hi John,

When installed Debian 2.2 I was given the option of adding a soundcard
driver during the initial installation. I'm not sure, but I think it got
added to the kernel. It is chosen based on the chipset of the soundcard (my
SB16 has an ES1371 chip, for example). With this installed, I can play CDs,
mp3 files & stream files over the web. I haven't worked MIDI out yet with
this setup, but once I upgrade to Woody, I shall install ALSA.

I checked & I have /dev/dsp. I am guessing here, but maybe you need to try
"insmod something-or-other" to add a soundcard driver. (My apologies to
people who really know what to do here, but I'm learning as I go.)

Assuming any of this rambling is of use to you, you will need to alter user
permissions so that you don't have to be root every time you want to play a
CD.

I hope that this is more of a help than a hindrance.

Gavin.