[Sussex] broadband

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 13:45:04 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Angelo Servini" <angelo at servini.co.uk>
To: <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 2:06 PM
Subject: [Sussex] broadband

> Hello sussex,
>
>   looks like I will be getting Broadband - Yay!
>
>   Question (anyone able/willing to help?)
>
>   0001 Whats the best provider? or at least a decent link for provider
>        comparisons.  I have had a look, but its amazing how none of
>        them quote their daily download limit!

Eclipse.

What daily download limit? :-)

>   0010 If its always on, can I manage email (procmail/sendmail) on my PC?
>        or is it best to manage by signing up with a mail provider for
>        email. The trouble with that tho is it costs more dosh, unless
>        the provider includes it in the package.

You can use your own package, however you'll need a provider that will give
you a static IP address at no extra charge. (Hence the recommendation for
Eclipse.)

Alternatively, if you feel you need your own mail server / web server, then
someone like www.rapidhoster.co.uk will do it for £20 / YEAR. (£1.67 /
month)

>   Tiscali, seems a good deal where you get free email addresses,
>   webspace, free hookup and free modem as well as 512k for 27 quid a
>   month.  I might go with them, seems reasonable.

I used to use Tiscali ISDN - I'd not touch them again. Eclipse has been far
easier.

> --
> Best regards,
>  Angelo                          mailto:angelo at servini.co.uk