[Sussex] File sharing legal in Canada!

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Apr 2 13:07:18 UTC 2004

Geoff

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 01:56:20PM +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Well - the pages in question were all uploaded on April 1st.
>
> Surely no-one would be stupid enough to launch a serious campaign on that
> day?
>
> From: "Geoff Teale" <gteale at cmedltd.com>
> > This has been coming for a whileso AFAIK it was not an April fool.  A
> > more worrying April 1st story on slashdot linked to this site:
> >
> > http://www.lose-it.org.uk/
> >
> > .. which I haven't actually been able to confirm as an April fool yet. :
> > (
> >
> > ..I really hope it is.

I have to agree with Mark.

There are two reasons for this.

  1). A TAX is a percentage, so even a TAX of 1000% would still net the
      Government coffers nothing if you or I give the code we write for
      free.

  2). If you buy Linux from RedHat, IDM, SuSe, ... then the government
      already take a slice of that in TAX - so they have already, effectively,
      been TAXing free software since it started.

Steve D