[Sussex] X

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sun Apr 11 18:11:37 UTC 2004

John,

This was something I considered for my presentation at the LUG meet last
month.  I didn't do it in the end, but that's another story.

I have run both X.org's branched version of X and the freedesktop.org
green-field xserver as well.   X.org's new release is predictably very
stable (the freedesktop.org XServer is less so but they're working on
long term goals), most people won't notice a great deal of difference to
be honest.   The big wins will come as other projects start to exploit
some of the features X.org can provide that Xfree86 doesn't / won't
(anyone who has played with MAS in the last few years has a handle on
the sort of thing X.org is planning).  For now the most important
difference between X.org and XFree86 is the license.

--
Geoff Teale
<tealeg at member.fsf.org> | <gteale at cmedltd.com>