[Sussex] Default window manager strangeness after upgrade

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 23:18:06 UTC 2004

 --- Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Window Maker came up as default after the upgrade & I thought I could
> easily get the default back to Icewm, but creating a .xinitrc file &
> .xsession (& adding "exec icewm" or "exec /usr/bin/icewm") did nothing
> stop the irrepressible Window Maker. Xdm disappeared after the upgrade &
> was using startx (actually quite like that idea), but I re-installed xdm

It will do, if you ensure that you have something like this:

#!/bin/sh

exec icewm

and SET THE PERMS to:

chmod 700 ~/.xsession

> Any thoughts appreciated,

See above. Oh yes, "x-window-system" is to do with the
'update-alternatives' scheme that debian uses for similar programs to user
preferences.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net