[Sussex] Java development IDE / compiler...

Dominic Clay dominic.clay at btopenworld.com
Thu Apr 29 10:07:47 UTC 2004

I'm not sure about jikes (I understand it is good, but I've never used it)  but if you download (any of) the sun jdks one part of this will produce a jar from the class files.

As an aside if you are a MS user too (heaven forbid of course!) you can use winzip to package up a series of java classes into a zip file and then rename it *.jar .  Ensure you include the manifest in the pre compressed directory structure and you will have a bonafide jar file. (I wouldn't be surprised if the same went for the tar utility too but I've never tried :) )
See you all tonight...
Cheers,

Dominic

Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
Mark

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:54:24PM +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> OK people...
>
> ... quick question, what's the best way to get started with Java
> development under Linux?
>
> I have a working JVM... but what I need is a compiler to get from
> source code to a .jar file.
>
> Can some one point me at a good URL for this? (or is there likely
> to be one already on my Debian PC without me knowing?)

Jikes is the standard Java compiler for Debian. But I normally
download the JDK from sun and use that.