[Sussex] GUI toolkits

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Wed Aug 11 18:30:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 17:56, Thomas Adam wrote:

> To me, it still looks like it was designed for two year olds. Sorry,
> but it does. ;)

You mean the actual GUI look and feel?  I'm inclined to agree, though
frankly it's a lot better than Tk or Fox IMHO.

> YMMV.

Amen to that...

> Ah, but does it really matter at the programming level how it
> *feels*?

I'd say emphatically yes.  This is the only reason I'd ever use Qt
instead of Gtk and the biggest problem with Windows native gui libraries
(other than the platform they run on and the license involved).

If you're programming against an API you want that API to be clean,
consistent and natural/intuitive without compromising the power too
much.  There are various degrees of complexity involved but ugliness is
never a good thing.

> There's still a lot you can do with it. It is, in my opinion, over
> looked somewhat, which is a shame.

Yeah.. but it is overlooked because the end results look like they were
produced by a demented bee (see your comments on Qt and multiply by
10,000).

--
Geoff Teale