[Sussex] GUI toolkits

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Thu Aug 12 15:10:10 UTC 2004

Hi

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:01:22AM +0100, Alan F wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing an app in perl to compare the differences between two
> directories (files new, more recent etc) and present the user with
> some kind of interface asking them what they want to update. I've
> written what it needs to detect differences and it seems to be working
> fine. This is probably the easy part :)

On debian: apt-get install unison-gtk ?

Home page:
    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison

from the blurb:
   ... It allows two replicas of a collection of files and directories
   to be stored on different hosts (or different disks on the same
   host), modified separately, and then brought up to date by
   propagating the changes in each replica to the other.

> I need this so I can synchronise stuff between my 2 boxes (over NFS),
> and the only tools for linux I could find weren't interactive like I
> wanted.

The gtk interface to unison is quite nice...

> It's being loosely modeled off this app I used to have for
> Windows: http://www.tgrmn.com/web/screenshots/images/compare_pro.gif

Having skimmed their web site, it sounds very much like what unison
does. Except that unison is quite happy to run cross-platform and use
ssh too...

> What I've written so far: http://bitbucket.loonix.net/imir.pl
> I'd be interested in any good criticism of this, since it's my first
> real perl script and it could be

could be ...? small?

Hope this helps
--