[Sussex] Simple OOP tutorial

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 15:04:37 UTC 2004

> GOTO ???  *splutter*

Ah yes... GOTO

My very first program contained a GOTO statement. This was in 1980. In 1970,
I didn't start programming. I did, however, start cell division, and later
in the year, breathing :-)

The most recent program I worked on that contained a GOTO was on Wednesday
this week.

I will concede, however, that Wednesday was a shock. There was an
intervening period of probably 15 years in which I didn't use a single
GOTO....

In my defence, about using it this week:

1: It was in a proprietary version of BASIC for an embedded controller
2: I was debugging some else's code - it's not how I would have written it

It's worth noting that the debug output wrote the shibboleth "Tony Blair" to
the debug consolewhen the hardware control was moved left, "Michael Howard"
when moved right, and "Bill Clinton" when the button was pressed. After all,
Bill has a reputation for pushing people's buttons :-)

M.